About the Leadership Development Committee
The Leadership Development Committee was established as a standing committee of the California Society of Pediatric Dentistry (CSPD) in 2005. The mission of the LDC is to meet the current and future leadership needs of the CSPD through the identification and support of potential leaders to ensure the continued effectiveness and growth of our organization.
The LDC is composed of five voting members, three at-large members, the Immediate Past-President, and the President of CSPD. The President-elect serves as an Observer and also appoints the Chairman of the committee during the one year term. The chairman is eligible to serve three consecutive one-year terms. Consultants and advisors to the committee may serve as appointed by the President.
Although the LDC has as its core charges to recruit volunteers for the organization and to provide leadership development opportunities, the committee also manages the Warren Brandli Leadership Intern Program, the Graduate Student Legislative-Advocacy Program and assists in providing board members the Board Orientation.
Please feel free to contact any of the committee members, CSPD board members or the Executive Director should you have any questions about LDC, volunteer opportunities and any ideas that you may have that may help the committee fulfill its mission.
- Identify and recruit members for appointed and elected leadership positions in the Society, maintain a data base of volunteers including information on their skill sets, interests, and leadership experience within and outside the society.
- Recommend to the Nominating Committee at least one candidate for each elected and appointed leadership position.
- Promote in elected and appointed volunteer leaders effective leadership skills necessary to the continued effectiveness and growth of the Society.
- Coordinate board orientation session with President-Elect:
- Coordinate Board Orientation Packet and orientation with the Executive Committee.
- Maintain the reading list, tapes, CD-ROM, etc. to be included in the Board Orientation Packet. Consider placing the list on our website. Consider establishing a lending library.
- Coordinate CSPD involvement in other organization’s leadership seminars, conferences and programs. Notify board as such programs are scheduled to facilitate CSPD participation.
- Continue to offer the “Leadership 101” course as part of the board orientation program.
- Identify outside leadership training and present these opportunities to the Board.
- Oversee Warren Brandli Leadership Intern Program, monitor program, advertise availability of positions and select intern(s) on an annual basis.
- Identify and maintain a list of volunteer opportunities outside CSPD. Stimulate and encourage membership in other dental organizations. Encourage CSPD members to participate in leadership roles in other organizations.
- Development and implementation of the “Graduate Student Legislative-Advocacy Program.”
Committee Members 2015- 2016
Chair: Mark Lisagor ('18)
Sharine Thenard, President
David Okawachi, President- Elect
Dennis Nutter, Immediate Past-President
Andy Soderstrom, Executive Director
Sahar Hamedani ('18)
Santos Cortez (consultant)
Rebecca Lee (consultant)
Leadership Training & Opportunities for Members
The Leadership Development Committee is charged and happy to present leadership training to the CSPD board of directors at every meeting of the board (four times a year). Board development is a strategic priority of CSPD!
Did you know that as a CDA member, you may sign up for media training at the CDA presents in Anaheim each spring? This is a great way to learn how to “handle” the media and how to avoid pitfalls in the interview process. This training is open to all CDA members on a first-come, first-served basis. Please call CDA directly to enroll. There are a limited number of spots available.
The CDA Foundation seeks volunteers to provide free dental care for the undeserved in San Diego County, please contact the CDA Foundation for additional details.
Leadership Reading List:
LDC invites members to submit relevant references of recently read books or articles that you feel will be of benefit to our colleagues.
Leadership Reading List - PDF
Suggested Reading Submission Form