Benefits of Membership in CSPD
Each year in late March or early April, the CSPD holds its Annual Meeting in locations chosen for their recreational values as well as for their ability to promote group interaction and camaraderie. These meetings offer fellow members the opportunity to gain scientific information, latest clinical techniques, practice management information, policy-making involvement for the specialty, and fellowship with fellow colleagues.
- Scientific Program: Topics are chosen to reflect the latest clinical techniques and practice management information. Nationally renowned speakers share their knowledge and insights.
- Panel Discussion: Panels of CSPD members present practical information on current topics.
- Table Clinics: Graduate students and members utilize this session to share new ideas and treatment procedures while mingling and creating new friendships.
- Business Meetings: The Annual Business Meeting provides an opportunity for the officers and chairpersons to report the latest state and national policy-making developments of the society.
- Social and Recreational: Events are planned to help renew old friendships and start new ones. Members and their spouse or guest are invited to participate.
- Exhibitors: Sponsors and vendors exhibit products or services that are particularly suited to pediatric dental practices.
Publications and Media
- Bulletin: The CSPD BULLETIN is published quarterly and is designed to keep the membership current regarding committee projects and Board on Directors Activity and highlight other items of interest to the California pediatric dentist.
Website: The www.cspd.org website is an attractive and easy to use resource for its members, patients and their parents.
- Membership Directory: This valuable and widely used publication contains referral and communication information, which is updated annually and distributed to CSPD members and other health care professionals.
- Special Media: CSPD provides occasional packets of important and useful information to its members in easy to use formats.
Professional outreach includes sharing information pertinent to children's dental health with medical and dental colleagues. The CSPD provides continuing education in new preventive and restorative techniques, including proper treatment guidelines for Fluoride use, sealants and infant dental care.
Graduate students and members are encouraged to submit ideas for in-office research to be done individually or in conjunction with other offices. Several projects through the years have been financially supported by CSPD. Members are furthermore encouraged to participate in AAPD directed research investigations and studies.
Programs for New Colleagues
- New Pediatric Dentist Seminars: Issues important to new members are presented at Annual Meetings or during the year.
- Mentoring: CSPD maintains a mentoring program whereby each Pediatric Dental Graduate in California is paired with an experienced, practicing brother or sister for advice, council, and encouragement.
Exchange of Information with Colleagues
CSPD has a well-deserved reputation for sharing their office forms, letters, promotions and management ideas amongst its members during the Annual Meeting panel discussions, table clinics and various practice management surveys available to its members. This project has successfully been duplicated by AAPD at its annual sessions.
CSPD maintains a placement service to facilitate the pairing of our practitioner members with recent grads or other pediatric dentist searching for new associations or practice opportunities.
Dental Care Programs
The Dental Care and Public and Professional Relations Committees provide interaction in many areas concerning issues affecting the practice of pediatric dentistry in California by keeping a close liaisons with the California Dental Association, California state government agencies, the State Board of Dental Examiners, the California and American Academies of Pediatrics and the insurance industry on issues related to the oral health of children.
Quality of Patient Care
CSPD maintains a Peer Review Committee to provide the opportunity for case review under the direction of the California Dental Association.
CSPD and its members maintain prominent roles on the boards of many child advocacy groups including: Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition; Children's Health lobby, California Migrant Education Board, Child Health and Disability Prevention Program, Big Brother /Big Sister, The Dental Health Foundation and the Headstart Program.